Even though the most modern way to replace lost teeth is dental implantation, and numerous arguments can be listed for it, there are also some counter arguments. This article will present the pros and cons of dental implants.
In this article, you will read about:
- It’s cheaper in Hungary
Dental implantation is a modern oral surgical/dental procedure with the aim of replacing lost teeth. It can be applied when the root is also removed from the alveole. The implant used in this procedure is the artificial root which replaces the original root either immediately or at a later time. The artificial root is a threaded screw made of titanium. Later, a superstructure is bolted into the implant, on which the required tooth replacement – crown, bridge, cantilever bridge etc. – is fixed.
First, let’s see arguments in favour of dental implants.
- If a single tooth needs to be replaced in our set of teeth, an implant can be used instead of a bridge. In order to fix the bridge, the teeth on both sides of the gap need to be grinded, even if they are perfectly healthy. With the use of implants, intact teeth can be protected.
- If a patient has removable tooth replacement – without having any natural teeth in the oral cavity -, this can be made more stable with some implanted artificial roots, even during eating and speaking. This way, the everyday life of the patient will be more comfortable.
- In case of total tooth loss, solidly fixed bridges or cantilever bridges can be created by implanting more than one implants, therefore replacing the whole upper-lower set of teeth. This solution results in a significantly stronger chewing performance and a greater sense of comfort compared to removable prostheses.
- Another very important aspect is that the artificial root and the implant built on it are fixed in the jaw and therefore they stimulate the bone and the gum during chewing, which can prevent the atrophy of the jaw and the gum. It also prevents the distortion of the face (which can be the result of facial dilapidation) and helps avoid numerous diseases and complications related to tooth loss.
- The successfully fixed (ossified) implant can offer a tooth replacing solution for many decades or even a whole lifetime.
- The teeth built on the implants bear an outstanding resemblance to the former natural teeth, both in their appearance and function. They enable forceful chewing and biting, which has a positive effect on the functioning of the complete digestive system and body.
Having seen numerous arguments for the dental implant technique, let’s see the potential risks and complications of this procedure. We will also look at contraindications and cases when it is not possible to perform the implantation.
- It is not possible to implant an artificial root in case of certain diseases of the immune system and the hematic system, as well as some chronic infectious diseases.
- Diabetes and smoking make ossification of the implant more difficult in the jaw.
- As in case of any surgeries, complications can arise during the implantation of the artificial root, especially inflammation in the soft tissues around the artificial root and in the bone tissue. This process can lead to the loosening of the implants or even losing the implant. This process, called peri-implantitis by professionals, can start in the first month after the surgery or later, around the solidly fixed implant. In the latter case, inflammation is usually caused by overburden, early burden or a lack of effective cleaning.
- The jaw bone gets thinner around the place of teeth which got extracted a long time ago compared to the implantation of the artificial root. The substance of the bone is not enough to fix the artifical root. In this case, lifting the paranasal sinus and osteoplasty is necessary before implanting the artificial root.
- Implants and the prostheses mounted on them require more attention, more effective cleaning and greater care than usual. Otherwise, a foudroyant inflammatory process can occur, which can result in loosening or lost implants.
Compared to more traditional methods, this technology is more expensive.
It’s cheaper in Hungary
If this procedure is rather expensive in your home country, but you still would like to get access to it in a cheaper way with outstanding quality, get the implantation done for example in Hungary, the number one country in dental tourism. Here, you can acquire high-quality implants for a price 60% lower than in your home country. The total costs of a treatment in Hungary are just the half of what you would need to pay at home, even with the price of travel and accommodation included.
In ACE Dental Clinic’s Budapest office, an experienced and well-prepared team is awaiting you. They will give you a professional offer and a quote within 24 hours and will help you with everything connected to your journey, for example reserving your plane ticket or choosing an accommodation. You can ask for a professional offer and the quote through phone or email via the following contact details.